Anand Mathew concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial and antitrust litigation, appellate matters, professional liability, fiduciary, and fraud litigation, as well as trade and restrictive covenant litigation. His extensive experience successfully resolving business disputes has made him the go-to source for both large and small businesses before litigation ensues.
Anand helps clients understand the nature of their disputes, identify litigation and alternative options, and develop a strategy for achieving the best possible outcome. Clients rely on him for practical advice on what can be achieved within realistic time and costs constraints.
Clients turn to Anand for his ability to break down complex legal situations and his effective writing and oral advocacy skills. His strong background in data and electronically stored information sets him apart even more. Drawing on his background in technology, Anand is skilled at harnessing data to benefit his clients’ positions, as well as for keeping costs down. He believes the practice of law is technology-driven and is a fierce advocate for working efficiently to minimize client costs and maximize productivity.
Clients appreciate Anand’s big-picture approach and ability to think and act strategically when advising them on important legal issues.
Prior to joining Palmersheim & Mathew, Anand worked in the technology space. At Northwestern University, Anand majored in Cognitive Science and Computing and Information Systems, with an emphasis in Artificial Intelligence. Before attending law school, Anand worked at a large technology consulting firm.
Anand enjoys keeping up with the latest technology advances and commiserating with fellow Northwestern sports fans.
Honors & Recognition
- Chicago Law Bulletin Top 40 Under 40 Attorneys in Illinois, 2018
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012 – present
- Leading Lawyers, 2015 – present
- Antitrust Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Law
- Emerging Lawyers Magazine, “Anand Mathew: Litigating with an Innate, Creative Mind,” 2016
- Illinois Legal Aid Online, Board Member, 2019-Present
Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Litigated novel issue of antitrust injury in the Second Circuit on behalf of global consumer products manufacturers as opt-out plaintiffs in multidistrict class action litigation alleging that several banks and metal trading companies conspired to fix the price of primary aluminum sold in North America.
- Defended a loss prevention technology company against monopolization and false advertising claims in the Southern District of Florida brought by a competitor relating to the sale of electronic article surveillance products.
Labor and Employment
- Took to trial in the Ohio Court of Common Pleas trade secret and non-competition claims against former employees that began working for a competitor.
- Submitted amicus brief in the Illinois Court of Appeals on behalf of manufacturing trade group regarding enforceability of non-compete provisions under Illinois law.
- Successfully defeated motion for temporary restraining order and motion for preliminary injunction brought by former seller of corporation seeking additional compensation for sale and to eliminate non-competition restrictions.
- Successfully defeated motion for temporary restraining order and prevailed on motion to dismiss in litigation brought by former employer against employee that had joined a competitor.
- Represented departing employee threatened with non-competes by former employer and prevailed on counterclaim for unpaid past compensation.
- Represented national retailer in breach of contract and fraud dispute relating to hiring of Chief Marketing Officer.
- Led client investigation into former president of subsidiary company of large manufacturer to address potential product safety concerns.
- Obtained summary judgment against consultant claiming employee benefits for services that he performed for a non-profit.
- Represented German client in arbitration proceedings before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution relating to a partnership agreement dispute.
- Represented closely held business in partnership dispute brought by senior partner in the office.
- Represented Illinois and Spanish corporate clients in professional malpractice action brought against former attorney relating to administrative proceedings before the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Represented Am Law 50 law firm on malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by former client relating to False Claims Act litigation. Obtained summary judgment on all of plaintiff’s claims and settled law firm’s counterclaim for unpaid fees on the first day of trial.
- Represented Am Law 100 law firm on claims relating to sale of property in foreclosure litigation. Obtained dismissal of all of plaintiffs’ claims and affirmance in the Illinois Court of Appeals.
- Represented professional auditing firm in several Illinois lawsuits relating to investments in an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Represented Am Law 50 law firm on claims brought by former client relating to negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement and claims under the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Obtained complete reversal in the Federal Circuit of an $11 million fee award entered under Section 285 of the Patent Act; defended result on petition for certiorari review to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Obtained affirmance of $2.9 million judgment in the Seventh Circuit against real estate management company for fraudulent transfer and successor liability.
- Represented plaintiffs in jury trial in the Northern District of Illinois relating to the unauthorized misappropriation of funds by a trustee.
- Represented manufacturer in patent infringement jury trial in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented client in arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association and assisted U.K. counsel in arbitration proceedings before the London Maritime Arbitrators Association.
- Litigated qui tam standing issue in the Seventh Circuit for relator seeking to obtain share of settlement between client and government.
- Represented clients in trust and estate litigation seeking to reverse transaction resulting in diminution of clients’ interest in family company.
- Obtained dismissal of claims brought against Cayman Islands real estate company in lawsuit brought under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act and alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully brought action on behalf of energy company for breach of settlement agreement.
- Brought fraudulent transfer and successor liability actions against defendants attempting to evade judgment.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of claims brought by purported broker claiming commissions for allegedly assisting in the purchase of a bank.
- Successfully defeated summary judgment on claims brought against Bahamian client that purchased counterfeit parts from Chinese seller.
- Represented wine distributor in lawsuit brought by competitor alleging tortious interference.
- Represented large retailer in mediation and obtained favorable settlement on breach of contract claim.
- Successfully compelled arbitration and obtained dismissal of suit brought against investment firm by individual claiming a partnership interest in the firm.
- Represented numerous clients in class actions brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act relating to the sending of unsolicited faxes and/or text messages.
- Represented a consumer appliance manufacturer in defective product and breach of warranty class action.
- Represented inmate in Section 1983 litigation alleging deliberate indifference to a serious medical need.
- Represented inmate in Section 1983 litigation alleging use of excessive force during arrest in high-speed car chase. Defeated defendants’ motions for summary judgment and obtained favorable rulings on pre-trial motions, which resulted in a settlement shortly before trial.